After years of our customers begging us for non-irritating natural hair care to complement our range of natural skincare products for sensitive or dry skin, we got to work with formulating products that would condition and care for hair and scalp without aggravating eczema or scalp psoriasis.
The resulting Natural Shampoo is mild, unperfumed, entirely soap and SLS-free, and doesn’t contain any of the irritating synthetic nasties those with sensitive skin might want to avoid! It features our special blend of biodynamic herbal tinctures - nettle, calendula, chamomile and chickweed - and uses natural herbal extracts and essential oils as preservatives - honeysuckle, sweet basil, clove and lemongrass - which give the shampoo its sweet, fresh, citrus scent.
The shampoo is based on some really gentle, plant-based cleansers: biodegradable, non-ionic surfactants derived from sugar, corn, soy, castor oil and coconut. These gently lift dirt and grease from the hair, without stripping the natural oils from the skin or irritating the scalp, avoiding the flakiness and dryness associated with synthetic detergents. They’re all made from sustainable raw materials of natural origin which respect the Earth as much as they care for your hair, and also mean that our shampoo is at least 99.9% natural!
Because this product is made with extremely high quality natural ingredients, without any cheap fillers to bulk it out, a little goes a very long way! You can always add more water rather than more product to get the coverage you need.
What we don’t use in our Natural Shampoo:
- Soap: soap-based detergents can strip the scalp of its natural oils, causing flakiness or irritation
- SLS: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (commonly known as SLS), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) or Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate (ALS): harsh synthetic cleansing agents which can irritate and damage skin and can cause flaky scalps
- Coal Tar: often used for scalps prone to eczema or psoriasis but can irritate broken skin
- Perfumes/parfum: artificial scents which can cause stinging, irritation or itchiness
- Parabens: preservatives which can cause reactions and rashes
- Silicone: synthetic coating which can render hair heavy and dull, preventing conditioning agents from reaching the hair
- Phthalates: synthetic gelling agents associated with toxicity
- PEGs (polyethylene glycol): petrochemicals associated with toxicity
- Phenoxyethanol: associated with irritation to skin, eyes and lung
Because it is so pure and natural, Purepotions Natural Shampoo is also suitable for those prone to allergies, eczema, scalp psoriasis, dermatitis and other itchy or flaky skin conditions.
Suitable for all ages (from 6 weeks) and all skin types.
Cruelty-free and suitable for vegans
It’s 99% natural
To reduce the risk of sensitive scalps getting irritated or flared-up by synthetic ingredients, the shampoo contains absolutely no fragrance, parabens, PEGs or petrochemicals
It contains biodynamic herbs
Our four signature herbal tinctures are UK-grown, biodynamic and organic; they provide essential vitamins and nutrients to support the skin’s natural cycle of cell regeneration
It cleanses effectively without harsh synthetic detergents, using gentle surfactants derived from soy, sugar, coconut and corn
It uses all natural preservatives
Instead of synthetic preservatives we use a 100% natural, biodegradable, antibacterial preservative system based on essential oils
Biodynamic herbal tinctures of calendula, nettle, chickweed and chamomile: used in traditional herbal medicine for centuries for their antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, regenerative properties
Japanese Honeysuckle extract 100% natural biodegradable antibacterial preservative
Lemongrass essential oil potent anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal essential oil
Why our team love this product.
"I suffer with a sensitive, flaky scalp and this shampoo is the only thing I trust on my head now! There was a noticeable difference after just one wash and the first time I didn't wake myself up with an itchy scalp!"
"I am the fussiest customer when it comes to hair products and I LOVE this shampoo. I thought I would have to compromise on performance to have a truly natural shampoo but not so! It is awesome."
"I love the smell of the shampoo, fresh herbal and lemony. Leaves my hair feeling super soft and doesn’t sting my eyes."
98% of people would prefer to use natural products
99% natural ingredients
100% free from sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS)
100% free from parabens, phthalates, phenoxyethanol silicones & perfumes
*from a survey of over 500 people
- Aqua (water)
- Decyl Glucoside*
- Sodium Cocoyl Hydrolyzed Soy Protein*
- Oryza Sativa Extract (rice bran)
- Heyptyl Glucoside*
- Cellulose Gum (vegetable-derived)
- Sesamum Indicum (sesame) seed oil
- Cymbopogon Citratus (lemongrass leaf) essential oil
- Stellaria Media Extract (chickweed) extract**
- Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract (chamomile) flower extract**
- Urtica Dioica (nettle) extract**
- Citric Acid (nature-identical)
- Lonicera Caprifolium (honeysuckle) flower extract
- Calendula Officinalis (calendula) flower extract**
- Ocimum Basilicum Extract (sweet basil) extract
- Eugenia Caryophyllus (clove) bud oil
- Lonicera Japonica (Japanese honeysuckle) flower extract
- Glycerin (plant-derived)
- Alcohol (trace from tinctures)
- Citral, Eugenol (from essential oils)
*gentle, biodegradable, plant based non-ionic surfactants derived from sugar, corn, soy, castor oil or coconut
Our products are handmade using natural ingredients; as such the product may vary in appearance from time to time but this will not affect the quality of the product.
This product does not contain nuts, gluten, lanolin or palm oil.
Our Hair & Scalp Range is entirely free from synthetic perfumes and colours, petrochemicals, parabens, phthalates, propylene glycol, SLS/SLES, PEGs, methylisothiazolinone (MI) and methylchloroisothiazolinone (MCI).
Directions for use
Because Purepotions Natural Shampoo is a genuinely natural product which hasn’t had synthetic ingredients added for cosmetic reasons, expect it to produce less foam when massaged into the hair; it will have just as effective a cleansing effect, without build-up of product or toxins. It may take a couple of weeks of use to get into the swing of using a natural SLS-free shampoo, so give it time! And remember: a little goes a long way.
- Thoroughly wet your hair with warm (not hot) water before applying Purepotions Natural Shampoo, so that it can be well distributed over your hair.
- Use your usual amount of shampoo or less: although our Natural Shampoo doesn’t lather as much as conventional shampoo, it is still effectively cleansing and clarifying your hair. Experiment with what amount works best for you.
- Apply more water, instead of more product. Key point here! If you’re struggling to get as much lather as you expected when washing your hair, apply more water instead of more product.
- Massage the shampoo thoroughly into the scalp and hair.
- Rinse thoroughly and repeat. Without so much foaming action, it can take a bit more work to remove the dirt and oil from your hair. The second shampooing really lifts it out and cleans your hair but also allows the botanical nutrients to get to work effectively on your scalp.
- Rinse your hair really thoroughly.
- Follow up with Purepotions Natural Conditioner
For the occasional deeply-conditioning and moisturising boost use Skin Salvation Scalp Oil every few weeks: just massage the all-natural blend of nutrient-rich antimicrobial oils into your scalp before bed, cover the pillow with a towel and wash off in the morning with our Natural Shampoo.
Keep cool. For external use only.
We recommend customers patch test on an unaffected area close to the affected area before use (leave for 24 hours) as some people may be allergic even to the very gentle ingredients we use in this product.
Do not use if you are sensitive or allergic to any of the ingredients in this product.
Our money back guarantee.
All our products have a 60 day money back guarantee, so if you are not completely happy with the results we will refund you.
Also known as marigold and famed for its intense golden-orange flowers, calendula is grown for us in the UK and used for its natural anti-inflammatory, regenerative properties
Grown for us in the UK and traditionally used as a natural antihistamine and anti-inflammatory to soothe itchiness, chickweed is also rich in gamma-linoleic acid and other essential nutrients that the skin needs to repair and regenerate
Easily absorbed and rich in beta-carotene, EFAs and antioxidants to help in the elimination of free radicals and toxins that can cause cell damage
Produced by a women’s collective in Burkina Faso and known there as 'women's gold', shea butter is a wonderful natural moisturiser that softens, hydrates and feeds the skin
Pure, minimally-processed and local, beeswax makes a fantastic waterproof and antimicrobial barrier to protect damaged skin and lock in moisture
A highly nutritious skin food, rich in EFAs and brilliant at improving the skin’s ability to retain moisture and keep cell membranes flexible
An exceptionally light, easily-absorbed oil incredibly rich in skin-nourishing linoleic acid, excellent for keeping sensitive skin in good, soft, supple condition.
Packed full of potent antioxidants, essential fatty acids (EFAs) and vitamins to help maintain healthy, nourished skin
A beautifully light carrier oil extracted from grape seeds, exceptionally high in Vitamin E and linoleic acid
Rich in provitamin A, Vitamin C, as well as Omegas-3 and -6 and other essential fatty acids, this European-grown rosehip oil delivers essential nutrients to support the production of new skin cells, helping to delay the effects of skin aging, assisting with cell regeneration, and boosting collagen and elastin levels
This incredibly rich little berry is a miraculous superfood, containing extremely high levels of Vitamins A, E, C and Omegas 3,6, 7 & 9, perfect for fighting the effects of ageing and skin damage. The richest botanical on earth!
Also known as 'starflower', this UK-grown oil is the richest plant source of gamma linolenic acid (GLA), an essential fatty acid which has powerful anti-inflammatory effects
Astringent and stimulation, unusually rich in vitamins and nutrients, nettle is said to reduce the heat and itch associated with eczema
Helps to stimulate skin cell action and regulate production of sebum levels in the skin, hydrating and improving the appearance of the skin
Has been shown in clinical trials to have antimicrobial and analgesic properties which can help support the healing of skin and is also famed for its soothing, calming and balancing properties
Sweetly smelling and notoriously calming, Roman Chamomile has traditionally been used to soothe inflamed and reddened skin
An invigorating essential oil, renowned for its natural antibacterial, cleansing and purifying properties
Stimulating, invigorating and purifying essential oil, known for improving circulation to the scalp.
Citrus-scented, invigorating essential oil, used for its potent antimicrobial properties
An extremely potent antibacterial and germicide, also provides a fresh citrus scent to combat odours
Biodynamic chamomile tincture
Biodynamic chamomile tincture organic UK-grown flowers, hypoallergenic, antimicrobial, and soothing to skin
Traditionally been used on skin for its moisturising, anti-inflammatory, soothing, restorative and regenerative properties
Creates a pleasant, cooling sensation on the skin and is also a mild analgesic so can reduce the soreness of hot itchy skin
An oil known for its skin-kind properties; when used in a formulation it makes the product soft, smooth and easy to glide over the skin
A natural zinc salt, extracted from castor oil seeds, which binds very effectively to odour-producing molecules
An ammonia-metabolising yeast used to neutralise odours
The first and only fully plant-based, natural, palm-free and Ecocert certified cationic surfactant and anti-static agent, derived solely from fermentation and plant materials using sustainable green chemistry principles
A natural amino acid that boosts hair growth
Contains hair-loving B-vitamins, which act as moisturising humectants, working to make hair softer, less brittle and more elastic